Thursday, May 9, 2013

Game of Thrones 3.6: The Climb



Lady Tyrell Combats Tywin

Sorry for the delay in this week’s Game of Thrones post. It is finals, so I have gotten a little behind on my television watching. This episode, however, was a much needed distraction from all of the work. It is official, Olenna Tyrell is my favorite Game of Thrones character. I thought the previous week’s confrontation between Tyrion and Lady Tyrell was going to be the ultimate dual of words, but I did not even think about a showdown between Tywin and Lady Tyrell. I think she is the only character that can make him speechless. Perhaps Diana Rigg brought a little bit of her bond girl power to the role allowing her to manipulate Lord Tywin just like she can manipulate James Bond. I was disheartened to see that Tywin did hold the Ace, however, having the power to draft Loras into the King’s Guard and thus ending the Tyrell line. Though he may have won that hand, I do not see Lady Tyrell giving up so easily and giving the heir to the Tyrell name over to Cersei. I don’t think we have seen the last of this sharp tongued granny.

Theon did not have a good time this episode. I thought the ripping off of fingernails was repulsive until seeing his torturer slowly skin his pinkie finger. I was excited to finally figure out who Theon’s captures are but sadly his torturer was not eager to share the details. It is nice to know that the mystery of who has Theon is supposed to be there and not just a plot hole left out of the series but in the books.

I was also surprised this episode of how easily Robb got off for reneging on his betrothal to one of Lord Frey’s daughters. Lord Frey seemed quite forgiving since when we first meet him in Season 1 he seems harsh and would not take betrayal lightly. I guess wars make people more opening to bargaining. Sadly for Robb’s uncle, Edmure Tully, has to bear the brunt of the appeasement and marry one of Lord Frey’s daughters. This scene told a lot about the power Robb has as King in the North. Now his relatives, who when growing up he had to respect and obey, are falling down on their swords to serve him and make up for his missteps.
 
Melisandre managed to find the Brotherhood without Banners. Arya once again always smart and perceptive knew this woman was trouble. I was surprised with how willing the brotherhood was to give the priestess Gendry. Especially since it seems like Thoros has more connection to the Lord of Light and thus more power than Melisandre (since he has been able to bring back Beric from the dead six times). I also wonder how Melisandre knew about Gendry and where he was. She obviously wants him so she can kill him since he is the only person that stands in the way of Stannis obtaining the Iron Throne. 

Finally, this episode had the heart wrenching scene of Tyrion going to Sansa’s room to explain that they were now going to marry each other. Though the episode did not show Tyrion actually informing Sansa, you could see the pain it caused Tyrion to not only have to be the bearer of bad news for Sansa but also have to tell his secret lover, Shae, at the exact same time. I will say that Tywin forcing his children to wed people they do not want is beginning to form an interesting relationship between Tyrion and Cersei. I do believe that thought these two  are in fact enemies, their present circumstances will bring them to join forces against their father. I cannot wait to see where the rest of this season goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment